Translate

Monday, April 29, 2013

The Fokken Twins: Two Women I Love


The other night I watched a documentary on Netstream about Louise and Martine Fokken.  I was afraid a documentary about geriatric sex workers might be depressing, but in fact I found it very uplifting.  I defy anyone with half a heart not to fall in love with these old Dutch bawds.

So what's to love about a pair of 69 year old prostitutes?

In a word:  Love itself.  The love they have for each other, the love they have for their children and for their spoiled-rotten-Chihuahua, and, most inspiring, the love they have for their clients (that is, "the kind gentlemen," not "the punters").  Their love for color, fashion, food, nature, and paintingTheir Love for Life Itself. 

How do such generous spirits survive, nay flourish, after fifty years in the Red Light District of Amsterdam?  I'm in awe...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!